Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A Year In Cake

     Most of the time, or so it seems, my Mom and I have some project or another that we are doing or planning to do.  It makes for a lot of adventures and fun time together.  Our projects range from sewing, scrapbooking, baking, candy-making, and anything in between we can come up with or have time to try.
     Over the last year, we have had the opportunity and fun to make several birthday cakes.  Those of you who know me, realize this meant flour and powdered sugar everywhere because I can’t bake without ending up covered in ingredients.  However, it also resulted in some very fun cakes.  We have been trying to be more creative and adventuresome with our ideas and what we were willing to try.  I thought it would be fun to share the outcome of our efforts.
     First up, was Brady’s birthday last year.  I wanted it to be creative and surprise Brady with something fun.  So, after a lot of thought I came up with the idea of a cake that looks like a motherboard.  I pulled out one of his old motherboards, and we used that as a pattern of sorts.  He even recognized which one it was!
image      imageimage
image

image

     Last, but certainly not least, was Brady’s 25th birthday this year.  I wanted to be creative and surprise him again.  So, I got a little braver and tried covering my first cake in fondant.  He shared his birthday party with Chris, our cousin, this year and we all had a great time celebrating both of them.  We had Kuennings, Smiths, and Spurlins all together.  It was a lot of fun. 

image      I am sure that Mom and I will continue trying new and fun things with cake design.  We still have a lot to learn, but it sure is sweet and fun to do it!

3 comments:

  1. Wow those are some beautiful cakes. You know me, I am partial to the circuit card one. You should send it to notsohumblepie, she does a science cookie/cake roundup every month. I just know you would get featured!

    ps: also love the blog design you are using.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Yeah, I'm kind of partial to the motherboard cake too. My husband being the computer nerd he is, loved it.

    The blog theme is from bloggers new blogger in draft where you can design your own template. I'm glad you found my blog. Now I can keep up with you on your blog, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the mario is my favorite! I like the tunnel on the top:)

    ReplyDelete